- Adopter MUST be a full-time resident of the state of Virginia. No exceptions.
- All dogs and cats owned by the adopter must be spayed/neutered and up-to-date on vaccinations and heartworm testing.
- All dogs owned by the adopter must be current on heartworm and flea/tick preventatives.
- The adopter must have permission from the homeowner or their landlord to own a dog of the particular breed and size that the adopter is interested in, and ODHS must be able to confirm that.
- Puppies adopted from our organization are required to attend puppy classes with a certified trainer within sixty days of adoption. You and your new pet will need time to develop a bond and get to know each other, and puppy classes are a great way to do this! These classes will ensure that your puppy grows into a happy and healthy adult dog by helping you to enforce leadership and boundaries, as well as teaching your family how best to work with your next best friend.
ODHS reserves the right to deny an adoption application at any time in the process for any reason.
Please remember that we are not just searching for any home for our dogs – we are searching for the RIGHT homes for them. We know most of our dogs pretty well and if we do not expect them to be a good fit for your family or situation, we will not adopt them to you.